Monday, April 24, 2006

Theoretically according to Wittgenstein, philosophy is both the logical clarification of thoughts, and a method of critiquing. Through philosophy we are able to clarify the limitations of meaningful language. Indeed if this is the case, then language or philosophy has failed us in some way when it comes to the ineffable. The ineffable can be realized in a number of different forms, however our only way of relaying facts or details about the nature of the experience is through words. The parameters of the experience(s) remain limitless, yet our ability to formulate and summarize through language remains so limited. Language has become a restricted medium in a sense. Wittgenstein states

‘What we can not speak about we pass over in silence.’

What does this mean for art? This weekend at the Berlin Biennale and one of the works was by Tino Seghal. Abstractly it featured a young guy and girl rolling about on the floor in a choreographed fashion inside of dilapidated ballroom. But it was more than that; their movements were precise and carefully executed. But I was totally uncomfortable, the work made me aware that I was witness to something that was something more than being in a room watching two people roll around on the floor. Beyond the fact that they were physically intertwined for most of the time that I saw them, and they engaged in some kissing and stroking that didn’t bother me. Sex in art has lost its charge, and at this point and it’s not shocking. What made me feel uncomfortable was the idea of the private and the intimate. There were moments when either the man or the women would touch each other with incredible intimacy or tenderness. Most people in their lifetimes experience some sort of intimacy and tenderness, and the words are used to relay experiences, but do we really understand the concepts? Is intimacy and tenderness the same for two different people? Its like love, they say you never know till you have been in love, but when you are, the feelings have no boundaries but the ability to explain those feelings, feels limited to me. Did I have an ineffable experience in the Seghal piece, I think so…..can I explain it? No I am not sure that I can, I can only explain how I felt, but the thing is…..whilst it was happening I was aware of how I was feeling but those feelings were muted…the connection to the work was very present. It was only after I left the room was I distinctly aware of how uncomfortable I felt. What does it mean, how do you qualify it, but do you even need to? Do we even have the intellectual capability to define and create vernacular about the thing, which we cannot name?


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Excerpt from email correspondence with Gerrie van Noord sent on 24 April 2006 concerning intimacy and Seghal’s piece in Berlin


I have to say that show (six feet under) always makes me feel a bit uncomfortable because of the intimacy. It’s a strange thing because it makes me think about the construct and make up of the ineffable, what are they, what comprises them? Is it just a clarifying of something like the intimate? I was speaking to (name removed for confidential reasons) about sat night and she was like I think intimacy is an odd thing, and I think that you feel threatened by it, in a way. There might be something in that, because my dad was saying when he sees intimacy like in the cinema or whatever he feels as if he is getting a gift, me I feel like I am being raked over the coals. But there is something worthwhile in the pursuit and uncovering of the intimate. Sex and intimacy in a way should go hand in hand-but one can be had without the other. If you use sex as an example and intimacy comes through or via being in love etc....then can you transpose that model to art, do people fall in love with the work if even briefly.... is that the key?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home